Features images appear as a block of images in mobile search results.
Here’s an example of what that might look like:
Other ways that images appear on SERPs include carousels, featured images, or accompanying a text result. Semrush collects data about each type of image-based feature differently which you can see in Organic Research reports.
How to Get Your Images Featured
Here are some image SEO steps you can take to help give your content a better chance of becoming a featured image:
- Use original images that are relevant to the topic of the page and add value to the user experience.
- Use descriptive file names and alt text to help search engines understand the content of your images.
- Use structured data for images and image sitemaps to tell search engines about the images on your site.
- Compress your images and make sure they’re properly sized to load fast.
How Semrush Collects Data About Featured Image SERP Features
- When we scan a keyword’s SERP, we identify whether or not a featured image is present anywhere on the results page.
- If featured images are present on the SERP, you’ll see its gray icon in the SF column.
- Since we cannot currently collect URLs related to featured images, we cannot say if a queried domain’s image is featured and cannot save it as a position.
To learn more about this SERP feature and others, read our SERP Features Guide.