News SERP results are a section block of top news articles relevant to the user’s search query. They’re usually displayed at the top of the SERP, or within the top half of results on desktop and mobile devices.
Here’s what a news feature looks like on desktop results:
And on mobile results:
How to Rank for News SERP Features
In the words of Google, “Our content and behavior policies help ensure a positive experience for our users and publishing partners. To be eligible to appear in Google News or news surfaces, content should follow best practices for article pages. Content shouldn’t violate Google Search’s overall policies or these policies for Search features.”
To maximize your chance of ranking for a news SERP feature, focus on the following:
- Core Web Vitals – The page provides a good user experience, focusing on the aspects of loading, interactivity, and visual stability.
- Mobile-friendliness – Check if your page is mobile-friendly with the Mobile-Friendly Test.
- HTTPS – Check that your site's connection is secure.
- No intrusive interstitials – The content on the page is easily accessible to the user.
Learn how to optimize your page experience with Google’s article: Understanding page experience in Google Search results.
How Semrush Collects Data About News SERP Features
- When we scan a keyword’s SERP, we identify whether or not a news block is present anywhere on the results page.
- If a news feature is present on the results page but the queried domain doesn’t rank within it, its icon will appear gray in the SF column.
- If the queried domain’s organic search result is in the news block, its icon will appear blue beside the number in the Position column.