Images appear on SERPs for all kinds of searches and can appear in carousels, featured images, or simply as images seen next to a more traditional organic search result.
This article is about image carousels, which can appear in mobile and desktop search results.
Here’s what an image carousel looks like on desktop search results:
And on mobile results:
How to Get Your Images in an Image Carousel
Here are some image SEO steps you can take to help give your content a better chance of appearing in image carousels:
- Use original images that are relevant to the topic of the page and add value to the user experience.
- Use descriptive file names and alt text to help search engines understand the content of your images.
- Include your branding on these images so that even if people don’t click through to your site, they can see your brand.
- Use structured data for images and image sitemaps to tell search engines about the images on your site.
- Compress your images and make sure they’re properly sized to load fast.
How Semrush Collects Data About Image Carousels
- When we scan a keyword’s SERP, we identify whether or not an image carousel is present anywhere on the results page.
- If image carousels are present on the SERP, you’ll see its gray icon in the SF column.
- Since we cannot currently collect URLs related to image carousels, we cannot say if a queried domain’s image is in the carousel and cannot save it as a position.
To learn more about this SERP feature and others, read our SERP Features Guide.