Backlink Audit Overview report gives you all of the information on your backlink audit right on one screen. This lets you analyze your data without having to go through multiple tabs and reports.
As you can immediately see on the Overview screen you’ll be able to get a quick shot summary of all of the important information regarding your domain. The first charts you’ll see are the overall toxicity score of your domain and the referring domains and analyzed backlinks.
As you scroll down the page, you will see even more metrics to analyze.
- Backlinks to Review - This is your total list of backlinks you are auditing. As you evaluate them and send toxic links to your removal and disavow lists, they will go into the corresponding categories here.
- Backlink Removal Requests - Here you can see the progress of your outreach efforts as you ask for webmasters to remove your links.
- Items to Disavow - This widget shows the progress of your disavow efforts after you export your list and upload it to the Google Disavow tool. When you hit the “confirm” button in the tool to confirm the link was disavowed, our system will recalculate the overall Toxicity Score.
- Top 100 Referring Domains - Shows information on referring domains that link to your website the most. In the table you can check domain category, Authority score, Toxicity Score, overall visits and, if you connect your Google Analytics account, the amount of referral traffic that your website receives from those domains.
- Top Referring Domain Categories - Check the most common category of domains that links to your website. If you see a link coming from a low authority site that doesn’t match the niche of your domain, it could be a bad backlink.
- Referring Domains by Authority Score - High authority score will help you identify websites that are definitely good backlinks and evaluate how many of your links are coming from weak domains that have moderate or no SEO effect.
- Backlinks by Anchor Type - The type of anchor text can play a part in determining if a link is potentially manipulative. Money and compound anchor texts (especially if they are overused in a profile) have more potential to be toxic since they involve target keywords, a common trait in spammy links.
- Top 100 Anchors - Scroll through your site’s list of top anchors seen by Semrush and flip through the categories to quickly identify any trace of a past spammy link campaign with manipulated anchor text.
- Top Target Pages - These are the best pages on your site in terms of referring domains and backlinks. If you hit the Target URLs with error checkbox, you can see a quick preview of your top pages that have error codes like 404.
- Link Attribute - Of course, “follow” links are the only ones carrying SEO value in terms of ranking factors. This widget helps you keep an eye on your overall ratio of link attributes.
- Link Type - This tells you what kind of links are most prevalent in your profile.
- Text links are simply hyperlinks within text. These are the most common forms of links on the internet.
- Image links are simply images that have hyperlinks embedded in them.
- Frame links are hyperlinks embedded in HTML frames, which are dividers in your browser window that separate areas of HTML. These types of links are not as common as text or image links.
- Form links are hyperlinks sent via a search bar or another element that users can modify by entering text.
Found in the top right corner of the page under “Insights,” the Profile Insights feature makes your work easier by providing actionable tips and insights about a domain's backlink profile. It can be found on every page within the Backlink Audit tool.
To use it, simply click on the blue Insights link, which you can find right above the Re-run campaign button. This will open a vertical menu that runs along the right side of the page:
Profile Insights offers its recommendations in three different groups, color coded and in priority order:
- Pay Attention: Highlighted in red, this group flags potentially crucial issues impacting your backlink profile that need to be reviewed.
- Potential Problem: Highlighted in orange, this group alerts you of things that could be improved to make your backlink profile stronger.
- Project Settings: Highlighted in blue, Project Settings offers tips and recommendations for how to configure the Backlink Audit tool, to ensure more accurate results and to make the tool easier to use.
Each flagged issue includes a brief explanation of what that issue is and its relevance to you, followed by a blue call-to-action button. Clicking on the blue button will take you directly to report, chart, or feature within the Backlink Audit tool where you can see the issue for yourself and take steps to fix it.