Assistant General Counsel
WHO WE ARE
Semrush is a leading digital marketing toolkit for SEO, PPC, and content marketing professionals worldwide, with 7 million marketers who have already used Semrush to improve online marketing activities, monitor their website’s performance, as well as the competitor’s one.
With over 45 tools within the software and search data for 140 countries, Semrush provides solutions for in-house marketing teams and agencies working with clients in any industry. Semrush is an absolute leader helping good marketers become great!
Semrush (NYSE:SEMR), a global marketing SaaS technology company that provides companies with solutions for online visibility management, is seeking a highly qualified lawyer with broad experience providing legal services to technology companies to join it's legal team in Boston, MA. The position will partner with the General Counsel to support a broad-based group of internal business clients across multiple disciplines and geographies, including international privacy and data protection, global employment, M&A and SEC reporting and may include the provision of support on commercial software contracts, public company compliance, real estate leases, resolutions and corporate financing transactions (capital and operational leasing).
We envision the successful candidate as someone who considers themselves or aspires to be an “in-house generalist”, but who already has significant experience in at least two of the following areas: global privacy and data protection, global employment, M&A and/or SEC reporting. The successful candidate must have the ability to manage projects and negotiations with attention to detail, a desire to meet high standards for work product, be able to collaborate effectively with a demanding internal client base and be able to operate with limited supervision. The successful candidate is also expected to offer strategic solutions for long-term legal problems within their areas of responsibility.
- Primary legal partner to the Semrush management teams in key discipline areas (e.g., employment, privacy, IP, etc.)
- Draft and negotiate a range of contracts and policies for supported business counterparts
- Manage contract forms, including periodic review and change processes, in relevant disciplines
- Resolve legal issues and contract interpretation matters that arise in existing commercial relationships
- Anticipate problems and initiate actions to ensure contractual issues are addressed efficiently
- Assist in legal support of corporate transactions (M&A, corporate financing, public offerings)
- Assist in refreshing and drafting new company policies
- Drafting SEC filings - including Form 4s, 8Ks, 10Ks, 10Qs, and the annual proxy)
- Assist in developing and delivering trainings for employees and executives on a variety of subjects, including ethics, competition, insider trading, privacy compliance, and other relevant legal issues
- Assist with legal support of efforts to expand business operations internationally
- Provide business partners with thoughtful legal perspective and guidance, as well as risk assessment and mitigation strategies
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and an active bar license in good standing
- 5-10 years’ experience as an attorney with a mix of significant law firm and extensive in-house experience focusing on general corporate work (not litigation)
- Experience working as an in-house attorney at a technology company; SaaS technology preferred but not required
- International experience required; in-house public company experience (including SEC compliance) preferred
- Exercises meticulous attention to detail and an organized approach to quickly identify a problem to be solved, and then solve it
- Ability to be creative and flexible but with a focus on business-oriented outcomes
- Highly developed written and oral communications skills, with the ability to clearly articulate recommendations and options about complex legal issues
- Highly collaborative and able to organize and manage projects with multiple stakeholders and groups
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and weigh business and legal risks, lead strategically and advance innovative solutions
- Tactful with strong external negotiation skills
- Ability to quickly come up to speed and excel in matters specific to the company's technology, including government, regulatory and security compliance
- Medical, Dental and Vision Care
- 401(k) plan with Dollar for Dollar company match up to 3% and an additional 50% match on the next 2% you contribute- for a total of 4% company matching funds - EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTIONS ARE FULLY VESTED FROM DAY ONE!
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
Semrush is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, creed, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or medical condition including medical characteristics, genetic identity, marital status, military service, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications.